Sunday 14 September 2014

Back to School

Our boys are all grown up now........so it's not them but me going 'Back to School'

My current efforts.....but so much more to learn

Last week our eldest, Gareth, submitted his Masters dissertation and our youngest, Owen, attended his graduation ceremony at Falmouth University. As they leave their studies behind and set off into the challenging world of work we're very proud of the young men they have grown up into. 

Dave, Gareth & Owen plus Thomas the Tank (19 years ago)

So on Tuesday I nervously walked through the gates at Richmond upon Thames College to meet the lecturers and have a look around the facilities of their catering department. It took me back over 30 years to the time I studied at Ealing College (now re-branded as the University of West London!) for my HND in Hotel and Catering. This time I want to enrol on the NVQ3 Diploma in Professional Cookery (Patisserie and Confectionery). Sat around the table were people of all ages and nationalities with a wide range of reasons for wanting to sign up for the course - improving employment prospects, career advancement, setting up their own businesses or just as a hobby. It's a part-time course and over the year we will cover a diverse range of topics from complex pastries to dough products, health and hygiene to food product development. I'm especially looking forward to learning about tempering chocolate and creating a competition piece - so watch this space as I blog and maybe even Tweet about what I have mastered each week. Hopefully in a years time I can post a photo of me (in my chefs whites not a graduation gown!) proudly holding my certificate.  
  
Owen & Gareth (now)


2 comments:

  1. I'm very jealous - please post lots of details so I can imagine I'm there with you.
    Lovely photos of the boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very nervous - there seemed to be a lot of people on the Open Evening already in the business 'professionally' - hope I can keep up!

      Delete